A pressure washer is a great investment for both hobbyists and professionals. We, of all people, know how exciting it is to bring one home! But, it’s important to be careful because mistakes can happen even with years of experience.
Our best safety tip will always be: Read the instructions for your model before starting it up. Every washer is unique, even if it looks familiar. It may operate with more power or different functionality than the one you’re used to. By exercising precaution, you’ll prevent injuries to yourself and your home. But that’s not our only tip, here are a few more ways to stay safe as you get spraying:
- Put on protective gear before you start: Goggles, long pants, and sturdy closed-toed footwear (no sandals or flip flops) will help protect you from injury.
- Did you know ladder falls are among the most common household injuries? Think of climbing onto a ladder with a pressure washer gun or wand. Pulling the trigger can cause recoil and throw you off-balance, leading to disaster. We recommend staying on the ground. Pressure Works sells a variety of extension arms and tools to help your spray reach different heights, without putting yourself in danger.
- Stay aware of your surroundings! Being alert keeps you from pointing the nozzle toward yourself, other people, or pets. Explain to young children the dangers of running in front of the strong spray and keep them far away while it’s on.
- Take extra care on wet surfaces. Some surfaces quickly get slick and become slippery. Slipping or tripping causes injury and you may lose control of the pressure washer.
- If your washer comes with interchangeable spray tips, turn off the machine before swapping one for another. This will prevent you from getting blasted by a powerful stream of water. Turn off the engine and press the trigger to drain excess water from the wand before changing tips.
Visit a Pressure Work location near you to learn more safety tips and techniques. Our knowledgeable staff is happy to answer any questions and make your pressure washing experience enjoyable and efficient.